You are invited to Welcome Neighbor STL’s very first supper club featuring food from West Africa! Enjoy food, conversation, and catching up with friends – old and new. From cultural exchange to just plain fun, look forward to a great evening.
These meals present an opportunity for immigrant families to share knowledge and skills unique to them. It is also an opportunity for us to get a glimpse into their culture. These fundraising efforts can set them on a path of greater independence and confidence in their lives here in the USA.
When you attend a Welcome Neighbor STL Supper Club, your meal will be prepared by immigrant neighbors who will share their culture and cooking skills by providing a table full of traditional food from their country of origin.
Suggested donation: $25 per person.
The event will be held on Saturday, August 17, 2019 at MaTovu, 4200 Blaine Ave. St. Louis, MO 63110. We hope you will come and join us!
MaTovu hosts a variety of spiritual, cultural, and social programming — including Shabbat services, concerts, readings, neighborhood meetings, simchas, youth programming, adult Jewish education courses, and more. MaTovu also seeks to connect Jews with other diverse communities in our region by providing an inclusive gathering place for both Jewish and non-Jewish programming.
Saturday, August 17, 2019 – Menu for African dinner
- Macedoine of vegetables (Burkina Faso) Potatoes, Carrots, Green beans, Peas, Corns, Eggs. With dressing (Ranch, Italian)
- Riz gras (White) (Burkina Faso – West Africa) Rice, Chicken, Onions, Green pepper, White pepper, black pepper, parsley, garlic, carrot, cabbage, zucchini, green onion, oil, chicken bouillon.
- Allocco (Plantain) (West Africa mostly Ivory Coast) Fried plantain with dipping sauce made with onions, tomatoes, garlic, pepper, oil
- Cassava (Manioc) with fish: (Congo) Cassava, fish, salt, chives (like green onions), onions green peppers (green, yellow, red), garlic, oil, black pepper.
- Beignet: (Africa) All-purpose flower, sugar, eggs, yeast, oil, vanilla sugar, milk, salt
- Degue: dairy-based dessert similar to a rice pudding (West Africa) Steamed millet couscous, yaourt, sugar, butter, cream, vanilla
- Coconut bites: Coconut, sugar, vanilla
Check out our story in The Huffington Post, Real Simple, Riverfront Times, Feast Magazine, St Louis Magazine, KSDK, Fox 2 News,and Resolution from the City of St. Louis. **Join Welcome Neighbor STL on Facebook.**
If you are interested in hosting your own supper club event, please contact Jessica Bueler at [email protected].